The Movie Review Guy Best Movies for 2013
Dec 31, 2013
The Top 80 movies from the 1980's in 80 Days (DAY 47):
34. “Gremlins” (1984)
A boy inadvertently breaks 3 important rules concerning his new pet and unleashes a horde of malevolently mischievous monsters on a small town.
Hoyt Axton—Randall Peltzer
John Louise—Chinese Boy
Keye Luke—Grandfather (Mr. Wing)
Scott Brady—Sheriff Frank
Corey Feldman—Pete Fountaine
Harry Carey, Jr—Mr. Anderson
Zach Galligan—Billy Peltzer
Phoebe Cates—Kate Beringer
Dick Miller—Murray Futterman
Judge Reinhold—Gerald Hopkins
Edward Andrews—Mr. Corben
Facts about the this movie:
*Opening Weekend:12,511,00 (USA) (1511 Screens)
*Generally credited to influence the MPAA to create the PG-13 rating, because many felt that scenes were to violence to be given a PG rating and not enough to be given an “R” rating.
*The idea for those creatures was born on a loft in Manhattan’s garment district that was home to NYU Film School graduate screenwriter Chris Columbus. “By day it was pleasant enough, but by night, what sound like a platoon of mice would come out and to hear them skittering around in the blackness was really creepy.” As Columbus recalls.
* Warner Bros. planned to released the film at Christmas time, but do to the fact that studio had no major films to compete against Paramount’s Indiana Jones and The Temple of dome or Columbia’s GhostBusters for the summer movie season, after finding this out they rushed it into production shortly after find this out.
*Mrs. Deagle, named her cats after different kinds of currency.
*Both Judd Nelson and Emilio Estevez were considered for the role of Billy.
*The voice over of Gizmo was mostly ad-libed.
* Howie Mandel was the voice of Gizmo.
*Michael Winslow was the voice of some of the Mogwai/ Gremlins.
*Hoyt Axton said he improvised nearly all his lines.
*Jon Partwee and Mako were both seriously considered for the role of Mr. Wing.
*The theater that was blow up was subsequently involved with another accident when Marty McFly from “Back to the Future” smashed into the front of the theater at the end of the film. Then a fire burned down the rest of theater after filming “Back to the Future 2”.
*The original rough cut of the film ran 2 hours 40 minutes. At lest that what Joe Dante and Michael Finnell stated.
*Judge Reinhold and Edward Andrews had a bigger part before it was reduced during the film editing.
*The Amblin Entertainment logo makes its first on-screen appearance.
Why I Picked this movie #34:
1.Great movie that hold up.
2. Great cast.
3. One of a kind story.
4. Great script.
5. It had some great spook moments.
6. Has some of the most memorable scenes in film history.
7. Gizmo is one of the most lovable made-up animal-like-charters ever.
8. Has real life moments of time it was filmed in.
9. This is one of those movies that make me love so much.
10. Has some of the most memorable quotes in film history.
First time seeing it:
At theater with my neighbor lived next when I was younger.